In 1970, substantial changes were made to the second green, and the third green was remodeled again into one large green. The 5th hole was redesigned by placing a new green on the high ground to the left near the 6th tee.
It is interesting to note that the total yardage on a 1914 score card for the first nine holes was 3220 yards with a rated par of 37 compared with 3199 yards and a par of 35 today.
On the back nine, however, some important and drastic changes have been made over the years. Each of these, when proposed, generated serious and, at times, bitter controversy. While there is no description available today to identify the first layout of the 1914 course, it is surmised that the second nine holes did not have available the area now in use as the 11th , 14th and 15th holes. Thus it seems that the then 13th , 14th , 15th and 16th holes were laid out in the area bounded on the east by a line from the present 13th tee to the 16th tee and encompassing the 16th, 17th and 18th holes. It is believed that the initial layout did not last long, for the areas of the present 11th and 15th holes were cleared and drained following which the holes on the second nine were rearranged, The revised layout provided for the short holes in the area of the present 11th , a long 14th, which was the present 13th extended to 545 yards, and a left angled dog’s leg to the present 15th green.
The latest major change was initially proposed as long ago as 1930, but was not implemented until 1953. It involved giving up one of the two consecutive short holes at the 11th–12th, and opening the present 14th hole. Many members disagreed with the scheme each time it was suggested, and the depression years, followed by the Second World War, also contributed to delays.
Eventually, in 1953, it received the approval of the membership, but not before many views in opposition had been voiced. Today, the criticism has declined but it is still a subject for discussion among the older members.
In 1963 a major undertaking was completed with the installation of a course watering system leading from the St. Lawrence Seaway.
In 2007 and 2008, further updating and modernization was implemented. New black tees were installed and new back tees for number 6 and 9 were built. The sand on the 6th, 12th ,13th and 16th fairways were remodeled and rebuilt. The 15th green was enlarged and the sand guarding the green was rebuilt.
Although not a long course, Kanawaki is often described as the longest 6,500 yard course anyone can play. It is a great members course and a true test.